|Collection||Public Monuments and Sculpture Association|
|Sculptor||Williamson, Francis John|
|Description||Standing female figure in classical dress and pose - identity unknown - her left arm raised holding a vase on her left shoulder,her right hand holding the left hand of a male child who crouches at her side to collect water in a small bowl. Figure stands on an irregular marble base strewn with an upturned vase and garland of flowers/leaves, the latter hanging down over the plinth above a basin for collecting water from the fountain (now defunct). Group mounted on a panelled base of cornish granite fitted with the basin on its main (South) side, an inscription plaque (East side), and a small circular bronze medallion (West side) containing a marble portrait head in profile of Henry Shrubsole. Plinth is mounted on a set of 4 steps, 2 large supporting the plinth and 2 small leading up to the basin. To the rear of the monument stands a cattle trough.|
|Additional Information||Memorial to Henry Shrubsole, local banker and three times Mayor of the Borough from 1877 until his death in 1880. Died in office while distributing gifts to the poor in Kingston Drill Hall. The inscription records the date of his death as 18th June 1880 when in fact it was 15th June. (Surrey Comet, 14/6/91, p. 8)|
|Id Number Current Accession||KT01|
|Id Number Current Repository||SWLKT01|
|Inscription||On bronze plaque on side of plinth:
Erected by Public Subscription/ in memory of/HENRY SHRUBSOLE ESQ. J.P./ Three times elected Mayor of this/ Borough in 1877, 1878 and 1879/ who died suddenly in the third year/ of his office whilst presiding over an/ occasion of Public Charity/ 18th January 1880./ "An honourable Counsellor" St. Mark XV.43/ Dedicated to public use by/ H.R.H. The Duke of Cambridge KG/ 1st May 1882
|Location||Kingston upon Thames, Greater London|
|Measurements Dimensions||female figure(180-210 cms x 120 cms x 90 cms (d) all approx.), basin and pedestal(115 cms (h) x 66 cms (w) x 44 cms (d)), base(30 cms (h) x 100 cms (w) x 105 cms (d)), medallion(38 cms (diameter)), plaque(86 cms (h) x 60 cms (w)), male child(3´ (h) x 2´ (w) x 3´ (d) all approx.), plinth and steps(225 cms (h) x 240 cms (w) x 350 cms (d))|
|Material||carerra marble, cornish granite, carrera marble, carrera marble, bronze, carrera marble, cornish granite|
|Notes||Erected through public subscription and unveiled by the Duke of Cambridge in 1882.The choice of a fountain as well as a figure to commemorate Shrubsole is said to have reflected his good deeds to the community. At a time when few households had piped water, a fountain was a popular choice, and the public contributed £500 to its manufacture. The project advertised for designs of which 36 were considered. Francis Williamson who had his studio in Esher submitted 30 drawings for the monument which are now in Kingston Museum. The original design was for a group of Sicilian marble on a marble pedestal. Granite was later substituted for the pedestal as it was considered more practical in combination with water, but led to increased costs which were met by a committee member and the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain Association. As the result of the extra expense, lower quality marble was used for the main group which may account for its present weathering and corrosion.
The statue suffered neglect for many years until extensively restored in 1995 after becoming a Grade II listed monument. The work was carried out by Louisa Pryor and Tim Lees of Clivedon Conservation, and included replacements to the nose, left hand and right arm of the main figure, and to the handles of the urn.
The monument stands close the National Westminster Bank, formerly Shrubsole's Bank established in 1792 and which the Shrubsole family ran from c.1800. National Westminster contributed £10,000 towards the restoration work in a cheque given to the Mayor of Kingston at a special ceremony held at the memorial.
An illustration of the monument was used in the 19th century as a newspaper advertisement for a local mineral water supplier, Messrs. Raynsford and Co. of St. James' Road, Kingston.
|Rights Owner||Public Monuments and Sculpture Association|